Which is the best authoring tools?
The best authoring tool for you will depend on a range of factors.
You should consider the following.
- How much technical expertise you have
- Whether you’re looking to produce really simple content or more sophisticated learning experiences
- The scale at which you’re publishing elearning content, and whether you need to consider things like translation and managing multiple variations
- Whether you are a sole author or need to collaborate with a wider team
- What you’re willing to spend
Articulate 360 includes both Storyline 360 and Rise 360, plus a slew of other authoring apps. Use Storyline 360 to develop custom, interactive courses that work on every device without any manual tweaking. Choose Rise 360 when you want to build fully responsive courses. (Available on Windows only.)
- Every course is mobule-friendly
- Theme editor and wide selection of library
Articulate 360 overview video
More information available at Articulate website.
Captivate is a desktop application available for both Windows and Mac. It’s one of the most powerful authoring tools in this list, but comes with a steeper learning curve and its own set of challenges. It's not as straightforward as Articulate Storyline and requires some programming knowledge to achieve some functions.
- Able to produce complex interactions (if you know how)
- Interactivity in the output can recognize common mobile-device gestures (e.g., pinch and zoom, swipe)
- Ability to create virtual reality (VR) learning experiences
- Steep learning curve with limited support
- Traditional linear style design compared to more modern authoring tools
Elucidat is a cloud-based, responsive authoring tool that’s designed to help create high quality elearning at scale. Customer support helps both novice and experienced authors uncover the full capabilities of the tool.
- Easy to use WYSIWYG interface
- Powerful learning analytics dashboard
- Outstanding support team, included as part of your package
- A time investment needed to utilize the full capabilities of the tool
- Can seem expensive if you’re not producing much content
iSpring Suite is a fully-featured eLearning solution focused on making rapid content development easy and intuitive. A major plus of iSpring Suite is that the core authoring tool works as a PowerPoint add-in, which makes for a familiar interface that is very easy to use.
- Perfect PowerPoint integration
- Professional video studio for recording and editing screencasts and webcam
- Cloud service for fast content sharing and collaboration
- Screen capture function is too basic
Gomo is a cloud-based authoring tool that allows you to create web-style content. Your courses can be hosted online via the web, or offline using the Gomo app. It avoids a lot of the headaches that come with desktop-based tools, but has some limitations in the amount of customization you can do.
- It’s a cloud-based authoring tool, offering greater flexibility than desktop tools
- Ability to provide multi-language courses
- Responsive output
- Layout restrictions limit your creativity and give courses a templated look and feel
- The interface is not intuitive and is tricky to use without a WYSIWYG interface